”Earn and Learn” describes a group of routes into and within employment which combine study with practical experience, so enabling individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required to pursue their chosen occupation.
For The 5% Club, earn and learn includes –
- Apprenticeships at all levels
- Formalised graduate training programmes
- Sponsored students
It does not include –
- Single instance/short-term training
- Work experience (freestanding or related to qualifications).
Why is Earn and Learn important
- Multi-level – accessible to all. Alternative to university for some graduate occupations, including reduced financial cost.
- Produce individuals with knowledge, experience and hand—on practical skills valued by employers.
- Routes to economic independence for individuals from challenging backgrounds.
- Significant Return on Investment for employers – employee effectiveness, motivation and retention.
- Significant Return on Investment to society as a whole – reducing cost of NEETs (individuals Not in Education, Employment or Training) and improving productivity.